Skip to main content

First Challenge

Well that took forever :/ I'm kinda mad at myself for putting it off as long as I did, but it's finally finished. So the challenge was to use my Gypsy Wanderings Cartridge and birthday theme paper to create a fairy tale inspired birthday invitation. I originally had an idea in my mind and had it all planned out, but, as per usual, when I started the project everything changed.


Anyway, I ended up making a cute little invitation with just the word 'party' on it but the 't' in 'party' had a crown above it. I used pink paper to make a shadow of the word to put behind it and teal paper with lighter colored stars on it for the actual word. I used my Gypsy along with my Cricut to cut the words out which allowed me to copy the word 'party' and maneuver it so just cut the crown was cut out because I didn't want the word and the crown to be all one color. And what fun is a princess crown if it's not gold?!? Once I had them all placed where I wanted them using my Gypsy, I put paper on my mat, loaded it in the Cricut and cut them all out. This is one of the best things about using the Gypsy with your Cricut. You can place multiple images to be cut out and see exactly where they will be on the mat when you go to cut them out. This allows you to put multiple pieces of paper on your mat and not waste whole sheets of paper (see image below). After I cut out the word, I assembled my card. I used kraft cardstock as my base and a scrap of paper that had cakes and party hats on it for my background. I cut the paper to fit the card almost exactly and then tore it diagonally so that some of the kraft was showing. Then I attached the paper to the base with my Elmer's Adhesive Runner. (I love this stuff!) Then it was time to attach the words to the card. I put the shadow base down where I wanted it to go, but before I attached the actual word, I cut the crown off. This allowed me to use the yellowish one without having to layer it over the teal. I adhered that to the pink base and then adhered my yellow crown where I cut the other one off of. And that is that. My card is complete. All in all, it took me about 20 minutes to complete. Most of that time was spent fiddling with the image on my Gypsy and then cutting it out. The assembly was actually pretty quick and easy.
My Gypsy and my Cricut mat with the multiple pieces of paper for the different cuts


All the pieces I used to assemble the invitation


Completed Invitation!
That's all for this post. I hope that makes sense. If it doesn't, feel free to comment with questions. I will write again when I receive my new challenge *hint hint Artie...*

Comments

  1. Well done! You should have taken it all the way though and made one to an imaginary party :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Funday Hazie Style

I watched my niece/goddaughter this weekend while her parents had a much needed weekend away for their anniversary.  She is a riot and kept me on my toes the whole time. One thing she loves is to paint. So on Sunday, we got out the paint and some canvas and went to town. There was a point where I felt like I lost control of the situation but it was fun nonetheless. I need to figure out how to finish my piece with the dots… I may add a quote over them or in between…

Challenge # 2 Complete!

So the reason I decided to do these keychains is because I saw them here (http://etsyrussianteam.blogspot.com/2011/06/moustache-keychain.html) which I linked to from Pinterest. The only problem with this tutorial is that I couldn't get my sewing machine to cooperate with me and the fabric. It was just too small to sew and it kept shifting and messing up. So I thought about it and decided I could do it by hand. Materials: Scissors, Pen, Adhesive, Fabric, Embroidery Floss, Thread, Template, Sewing Needle, Embroidery Needle I started out by cutting out a mustache template using my Cricut and the Bump in the Night cartridge. I used a heavy cardstock so that I could trace it without too much problem. I then traced the mustache onto the WRONG side of the fabric two times because we will sandwich them together to create the keychain. You will also need to cut a small rectangular piece which will be used to attach the mustache to your keyring. template and mustaches traced on...

Trying new things

 The holidays are upon us so making time for things like self-care are harder than ever.  However, last week I made time to sit and try some water coloring and started sketching and doodling again.  My dad was interested in watercolor as well, but didn't like that I had liquid paint.  He wanted to try the kind from the tubes so I bought him a set along with some brushes so we could paint together.  For those that don't know, my dad was diagnosed with cancer last year.  He has lost a lot of drive to do creative things because his hobbies included leatherworking and woodworking - both of which he doesn't have the strength or stamina to do anymore.  The littlest things take a lot of effort for him nowadays, so I thought painting would be a good creative outlet for him.  I wanted to practice for the postcards I am going to make for my nieces and thought that would be a good time to do so.  Mine did NOT turn out like the TikTok I watched, but they...