Skip to main content

Pinterest Craft Fail...sort of

 So my friend's daughter is in town for the summer.  She loves tie dye and I was looking for something to do with her.  I saw a few things on Pinterest where they used Sharpies to tie dye shoes.  I showed her, asked if she wanted to do it, she said yes so I ordered the supplies (thanks Amazon Prime Day!).  I researched a few different designs we could try.  She wanted to do all rainbow, normal tie dye looking with doodles on top when finished.  I wanted to do a galaxy-ish motif.  To say things didn't go as planned is an understatement.  Certain colors worked better than others, we got high on alcohol fumes, it was a mess.  We did have fun though, and that's all that matters.  I think her shoes turned out way better than mine and she is proud of her work. I was sad mine didn't turn out well, but tried to save it by adding color to the seams and adding affirmations to each one.

Check out our work below and let me know if you've ever tried it!

supplies
Supplies at the ready

my design
My design, supposed to look like a galaxy



Em's design
Em's design - very colorful





Em's left shoe
Left foot - finished product

Em's right shoe
Right foot - finished product

my shoes
my finished pair


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Funday Hazie Style

I watched my niece/goddaughter this weekend while her parents had a much needed weekend away for their anniversary.  She is a riot and kept me on my toes the whole time. One thing she loves is to paint. So on Sunday, we got out the paint and some canvas and went to town. There was a point where I felt like I lost control of the situation but it was fun nonetheless. I need to figure out how to finish my piece with the dots… I may add a quote over them or in between…

Challenge # 2 Complete!

So the reason I decided to do these keychains is because I saw them here (http://etsyrussianteam.blogspot.com/2011/06/moustache-keychain.html) which I linked to from Pinterest. The only problem with this tutorial is that I couldn't get my sewing machine to cooperate with me and the fabric. It was just too small to sew and it kept shifting and messing up. So I thought about it and decided I could do it by hand. Materials: Scissors, Pen, Adhesive, Fabric, Embroidery Floss, Thread, Template, Sewing Needle, Embroidery Needle I started out by cutting out a mustache template using my Cricut and the Bump in the Night cartridge. I used a heavy cardstock so that I could trace it without too much problem. I then traced the mustache onto the WRONG side of the fabric two times because we will sandwich them together to create the keychain. You will also need to cut a small rectangular piece which will be used to attach the mustache to your keyring. template and mustaches traced on...

Trying new things

 The holidays are upon us so making time for things like self-care are harder than ever.  However, last week I made time to sit and try some water coloring and started sketching and doodling again.  My dad was interested in watercolor as well, but didn't like that I had liquid paint.  He wanted to try the kind from the tubes so I bought him a set along with some brushes so we could paint together.  For those that don't know, my dad was diagnosed with cancer last year.  He has lost a lot of drive to do creative things because his hobbies included leatherworking and woodworking - both of which he doesn't have the strength or stamina to do anymore.  The littlest things take a lot of effort for him nowadays, so I thought painting would be a good creative outlet for him.  I wanted to practice for the postcards I am going to make for my nieces and thought that would be a good time to do so.  Mine did NOT turn out like the TikTok I watched, but they...