Skip to main content

Tie Dye plus HTV equals fun sleepover attire!

This past weekend I had a sleepover with my nieces and my friend's daughter.  We wanted to get them matching pajamas but it was hard to find something matching when the kids are 2, 3 and 14 years old.  So we improvised and made matching tshirts for all of us.  We started with tie dying them.  I had never done that before but Em had so she showed me the ropes. After doing a little research, I washed them in soda ash (supposed to help with color retention) and then we got to dying while they were still damp.  We put them in a ziploc plastic bag and let them sit for over 24 hours to soak in the dye.  We rinsed them out the following afternoon and then I washed them without soap in the washer. I put them through two cycles of just water to make sure there was no more dye and then dried them on high heat to help set it.  I wanted to put their names on them and a fun saying on the front.  A quick Pinterest search later and I found one that I liked - Sleepover Squad.  The original had #nosleep under the title, but I have never used HTV (heat transfer vinyl) before so I wanted to keep it simple.  I omitted the hashtag, but in hindsight should have kept it since we did indeed get no sleep!  I used my Brother Scan n Cut and the Canvas Workspace to design their names and the fronts. I then cut it out in HTV. I used tape to keep the letters together and then ironed them on, using parchment paper to keep the iron from sticking.  

We had a lot of fun and the girls loved their shirts.  10/10 would recommend!

Supplies used:

Cricut Strongbond Everyday

Gildan Tshirts

Tulip Tie Dye Party Kit

Arm & Hammer Washing Soda






 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday Funday Hazie Style

I watched my niece/goddaughter this weekend while her parents had a much needed weekend away for their anniversary.  She is a riot and kept me on my toes the whole time. One thing she loves is to paint. So on Sunday, we got out the paint and some canvas and went to town. There was a point where I felt like I lost control of the situation but it was fun nonetheless. I need to figure out how to finish my piece with the dots… I may add a quote over them or in between…

Trying new things

 The holidays are upon us so making time for things like self-care are harder than ever.  However, last week I made time to sit and try some water coloring and started sketching and doodling again.  My dad was interested in watercolor as well, but didn't like that I had liquid paint.  He wanted to try the kind from the tubes so I bought him a set along with some brushes so we could paint together.  For those that don't know, my dad was diagnosed with cancer last year.  He has lost a lot of drive to do creative things because his hobbies included leatherworking and woodworking - both of which he doesn't have the strength or stamina to do anymore.  The littlest things take a lot of effort for him nowadays, so I thought painting would be a good creative outlet for him.  I wanted to practice for the postcards I am going to make for my nieces and thought that would be a good time to do so.  Mine did NOT turn out like the TikTok I watched, but they...

Challenge # 2 Complete!

So the reason I decided to do these keychains is because I saw them here (http://etsyrussianteam.blogspot.com/2011/06/moustache-keychain.html) which I linked to from Pinterest. The only problem with this tutorial is that I couldn't get my sewing machine to cooperate with me and the fabric. It was just too small to sew and it kept shifting and messing up. So I thought about it and decided I could do it by hand. Materials: Scissors, Pen, Adhesive, Fabric, Embroidery Floss, Thread, Template, Sewing Needle, Embroidery Needle I started out by cutting out a mustache template using my Cricut and the Bump in the Night cartridge. I used a heavy cardstock so that I could trace it without too much problem. I then traced the mustache onto the WRONG side of the fabric two times because we will sandwich them together to create the keychain. You will also need to cut a small rectangular piece which will be used to attach the mustache to your keyring. template and mustaches traced on...